Thursday, May 5, 2011

Kitchen Adventure: Going Nuts... Pinoy style!

I have always been fond of peanuts.  I remember when I was still in school, my Mama will buy a packet of groundnuts and boil them for snacks especially during exam weeks.   She would say it's supposed to boost brain power. Fact or myth, I don't really bother anymore, but I did graduate each level with honors. I'd rather think it's the genes and not the peanuts. :))

Here in Singapore, I do chance upon raw groundnuts at the local grocery every now and then.  And there are also roasted peanuts sold in packets on the the grocery racks.  But still how can a Pinoy not miss Adobong Mani

Sometimes the cravings come too strong that you feel homesick at the same time.  I can't let this happen!  So I did something about it.  I learned how to cook Adobong Mani! :D

It took quite a while (and a few inedible bags of peanuts) before I learned the proper technique.  Now, I am proud to say, I produce great results and here's proof!



The key is plenty of hot oil and a good arm.

You should use enough oil to cover/submerge the nuts during cooking.  You have to keep on stirring the nuts and garlic mixture in the hot oil.  If you don't stir, you'll get burnt nuts and garlic.  For me, it takes around 15 - 20 minutes of non-stop stirring when cooking 100 grams of peanuts.

This batch of Adobong Mani will be tonight's Cookie movie date snack. <3


0 Cookie Thoughts: