Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Singapore Adventure: Worried

Last week, I received a good news in my inbox.  My application for a Long Term Visit Pass here in Singapore has been approved by the ICA.  And so to complete the requirements, I need to get a medical examination done.  It comprises of a chest x-ray and a routine blood test for HIV.

I did this stuff on Monday at the Silvercross Marsiling clinic we used to frequent when we were still staying at Woodlands.  I was told by the nurse that the results should be out by Wednesday and may be collected from the clinic after 2:00 pm.

So this morning, I gave the clinic a ring to check if I can pop over in the afternoon to collect my results and hopefully I can complete the ICA formalities before the week ends.  But to my surprise, only my chest x-ray results are ready, my blood test has not come back from the laboratory.  I instructed the nurse to give me a call back when the results are ready.  A few minutes later I got a call from the clinic.  Initially I thought it was the nurse, but it was Dr. Suren at the end of the line.  He was the doctor who took my blood for the test.

He told me that the blood test result won't be ready for a week since it has to be sent to the Singapore General Hospital for further tests.  Then he asked me if I had any conditions that I know of.  I told him as far as I know I don't have any conditions apart from the high cholesterol findings in my CBC more than a year ago.   Hmmm... that call got me really worried.  It's just supposed to be a routine HIV test.  Are they checking my blood for something else?  I doubt it since it's just supposed to be for a dang routine HIV screening!!!

I gave Hubby Cookie a call, and then I started to breakdown out of worry.  What could it be?  Thanks to him somehow I was able to compose myself.  Then a few minutes later, he forwarded me a link to a Channel News Asia article on Private lab sees increase in requests for HIV testing published in December 2010.  This somehow calmed my nerves. 

Then I realised, it sounds plausible.  After all, I just did an antibiotic cycle, and a few months back had a tetanus shot.  So yes, maybe there were some unexpected reactions in my blood test. 

In the meantime, I can't help but be worried.  And the results won't be avaible for another week.  Sheesh...  I hope whatever they found in my blood sample doesn't kill me until then.

I am crossing my fingers.  Please cross your fingers for me, too.


0 Cookie Thoughts: